StartupGeist summarizes insights and experiences from startup experts and founders. Here you find 100 hand-picked resources for your Startup Fundraising 101
What is the fundraising path startups take from start to exit?
Usually, it takes 7 years for a startup to reach a “liquidity event” — sale or IPO.
According to Startup Genome, the first major financing round ‘the A round’ should take place in the scaling phase. In reality, it often takes place before. Ash Maurya also thinks the best timing for raising capital is after product market fit, when your interests as a startup founder are aligned with the ones of an investor. Then it’s about growing your startup.
When successful — more fundraising rounds follow for a startup. They are commonly called the ‘B Round’, ‘C Round’, ‘D Round’ and so on. Venture Capitalists finance for the intended growth of startups.
StartupGeist Knowledge Base
StartupGeist summarizes insights and experiences from startup experts and founders. Here you find 100 hand-picked resources to compile your Startup Fundraising 101 — divided into a few categories.
- Startup Funding Basics
- Bootstrapping vs. VC Funding
- Venture Capital Funding
- Founder experiences
- Investor experiences
- Startup Funding Trends
- Tools & Resources (e.g. term sheet drafts)
- Fundraising Platforms
Startup Funding Basics
- David Cummings: How Can a $10 Million in Revenue Company be Worth More than a $100 Million Revenue Company
- Tech Crunch: Want To Raise A Million Bucks? Here’s What You’ll Need
- Steve Blank: The Investment Readiness Level
- Both Sides of the Table: Angel Funding Advice
Bootstrapping vs. VC Funding
- 37Signals: Self-funded companies
- BEATRIX: 12 Amazing Bootstrapped Companies
- Paul Graham: The Fatal Pinch
- Fred Wilson: Profits vs. Growth
- Jason Cohen: Designing the Ideal Bootstrapped Business
- Venture Beat: To bootstrap or not? 5 questions to ask yourself
- David Cummings: Consulting to Fund Product Development
- Paul Graham: How to Fund a Startup
- Jon Oringer: Entrepreneurs: Go as long as possible without taking venture capital
Venture Capital Funding
- Tech Crunch: The Art of Raising Seed: You’re either Hot or You make your own Heat
- Bothsides of the Table: How Many Investors are Too Many?
- David Cummings: 3 Main Ways Investors Add Value
- Medium: Pitch Your Life – The Art of Storytelling When Raising $28M
- Things successful startups do when raising seed capital
- Techfounder: The ABC Of Raising Your Seed Round
- CDixon Blog: The Problem with Taking Seed Money from Big VCs
- Venture Hacks: interview & keynote
- AVC: Revenue Traction Doesn’t Mean Product Market Fit
- Elad Gil: Signs A VC Is Just Not That Into You
- Reid Hoffman: What I Wish I Knew Before Pitching LinkedIn to VCs (Linkedin’s Series B Pitch to Greylock)
- Andrew Chen: When a great product hits the funding crunch [their complete story here]
- Sam Altman: Fundraising Mistakes Founders Make
- Techfounder: Why We Stopped Raising Until We No Longer Need The Money
- Elad Gil: Questions VCs Will Ask You
- Paul Graham: Paul Graham in AirBnB: Convincing Fred Wilson to invest: Interesting Email Conversation
- Fred Wilson: Corresponding blog post from Fred about AirBnb
- Paul Graham: How to convince investors
- Paul Graham: A Fundraising Survival Guide
- David Cummings: 26 Lessons Learned from Investing in 26 Startups
- Bothsides of the Table: VCs like to invest in lines, not dots.
- Elad Gil: The Danger of Pitching VCs Too Early
- OnStartUps: Raising Money on AngelList: 21 Tips from 2 Business Angels
- Tech Crunch: Fundraising: From $1,000 To $1,000,000
- Tech Crunch: Getting Rich By The Numbers, A CrunchBased How-To
- Mechanics of a Small Acquisition
- Jason Cohen: Rich vs. King in the Real World: Why I sold my company
- Slate: I Sold My Startup for $25.5 Million
- Bonus to ‘Non-Exit’: When Twitter Met Facebook: The Acquisition Deal That Fail-Whaled.
Startup Funding Trends
- LinkedIn: It is a Bubble, when people will lose their money
- Bothsides of the Table: The Changing Structure of the VC Industry
- Andreessen Horowitz: Why the Structural Changes to the VC Industry Matter
- Jack Altman: Why Twitter’s IPO is Bad for Startups
- Dave McClure: VC Evolution: Physician, Scale Thyself.
- Tomasz Tunguz: Are VC Mega-Rounds The New Normal?
Tools & Resources (e.g. term sheet drafts)
- Hack FWD dilution calculator
- Startups: Here’s A Calculator For Funding And Equity, Courtesy Of SmartAsset
- Free Templates for Great Startup Pitch Decks, Direct from VCs
- Brad Feld on Term Sheets
- the Y Combinator Open Source Term Sheet
- TechStars Term Sheets
- Founders Institute: new “plain referred ” term sheet
- Vesting calculator (more startup tools)
Startup Funding Platforms
Next on StartupGeist
- How to Find Product/Market Fit: Road to the Holy Startup Grail
- Berlin’s Development into an Internet Startup Hub.
- Startup Life: The Scary Truth No One Tells you.